The semester is over and so is our game class, these past few weeks have all been about finishing the game and adding content that was core to the design. The development of the game went through a lot , changing the design midway and then having a theme that required assets like 3D models took a big chunk of some of my teammate’s time.
It was a hard project to manage and finish because it was bigger than what we had anticipated and other classes quickly took over our free time, but overall i think we have managed to get a pretty decent project and game.
Tasks done since alpha milestone:
I have worked on the overall feeling on the game by working on the camera and creating effects. For example when the player is just moving around the camera bobs vertically and horizontally, and the distance to the player keeps changing randomly, which makes the game feel less static and adds a bit more to the third person perspective. I also implemented other effects like increasing field of view and distance when the player takes a speed boost called red boids and the increase depends on how many red boids the player has collected. And finally my favorite was the Jump effect
Camera follows the player at a much slower pace thus resulting in him being on the upper part of the screen, which gives this nice feeling and makes jumping more impressive.
Menu Animation and Night and day:
The Skybox interpolates with the lighting of the scene to create this effect of day and night. There’s a moon and a sun and they are both Game Objects emitting light and rotating in a circle. In order for the lights to be separated, there’s a plane under the water which blocks the light that is below thus separating both parts of the day.
This animation of the camera is also part of the main menu that i have created. I did the simplest main menu I could have done , with this camera animation, and an even simpler Pause Menu which just has text appearing. It turned out to look quite good.
I’ve also implemented all other small things but required for a complete game , such as a basic tutorial , credits appearing when the game ends or in the pause Menu and a proper restart which turned out to be a bit more annoying than what it should have been.
Overall the project turned out to be better than i had originally expected, we ended up working the last week and adding content in a period where we should’ve just been fixing bugs and tweaking little things. Managing a team and yourself is not easy ,especially when alot of other classes are involved and we didnt have any artists for a 3d game that needed content. That slowed our development a lot but we ended up making a complete experience which is about exploring, speed and level interaction.
I really liked working on the project because i did so many different things, i worked on a gameplay system that ended up being a core part of the experience , then worked on creating a smoother sensation with the camera, and i also did visual effect like the day and night and some rain particles following you during the night.